Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Self-supported half marathon



I guess I won't be running an official half marathon this year.

As you may or may not know, I am learning how to drive this year. This means I can't drive on my own yet (I don't get my liscense untill at least January) amd thus, still have to rely on my parents for transportation.

My parents never really feel like taking me to races. They do take me sometimes, but not often (they will take me to all my swim meets, but outside of that, my only other races this season were two triathlons). I don't blame them. It is not much fun for them. From their prespective, all they get to do is wake up really early, and go on a long drive to sit around for two or more hours while I complete the race.

As you might have already inferred, my parents don't feel like driving me to any half marathons this year. I have no other option for transportation. That is why I am bringing the race to me. Within the next coming months (when I feel like my training has been going well and I am ready) I will do a self-supported half marathon.

I will make the course exactly 13.1 miles in length. The aid station/restrooms will be located at my house. The only challenge to this "race" besides finishing is finding a way to measure the course length accuratly. I will have to buy a bike computer or a Garmin for this purpose.

All I know is that I made it my vow at the beginning of the year to do a half marathon in 2008. I WILL make my wish come true, whatever the obsticles may be.

I should be able to run an officail half marathon next year in 2009. I will be able to drive (all by myself!) to a race by then!

Speaking of driving, I can't wait to get my liscense! The freedom of being able to go wherever I want, whenever I want sounds incredibly amazing.