Saturday, November 29, 2008

Missing shoe

I had a great swim practice yesterday. A lot of people were gone for the Thanksgiving holiday, meaning there was a lot more lane space. Instead of 7 people trampling over me as they lap me, there were only 3-4 other swimmers in my lane. I really enjoyed this calmness.

Despite this great practice, I did two really stupid things.

1. I twisted my knee while doing a breaststroke kick. It popped and really hurt for the rest of the night. Thankfully, it feels perfectly fine today. I could barely walk last night and was worried it would compromise my running today.

2. (The dumbest thing I did)! I lost one of my running shoes. I just lost one running shoe- the right one. I brought my running shoes with me to swim practice last night; however, they were hanging off the edge of my swim bag and one must have dropped out sometime after I left practice.

All I know is that I came into swim practice with two running shoes; however, by the time I came home and went to put my stuff up, I noticed I only had one running shoe. After looking all through my bag, retracing my steps outside to my dad's car (my ride home) and looking through my dad's car, I realized that I could not find this other shoe! I completely panicked. I only have one pair of running shoes!

After calling the Rec center where I had swim practice and hearing that no shoes were found, my mom drove me back to the Rec center so that I could look around.

While at the Rec center, I looked outside.



I traced my path back to the locker room.



I looked in the locker room.



I looked on the pool deck.



I looked in the lost and found box.



I asked the people at the front desk again to see if they saw any shoes.



No right Brooks Addiction 7 Women's running shoe size 6 narrow was found.



I saw plenty of other shoes (especially in the lost and found box), but none that fit the above description.



After leaving the Rec center discouraged, my mom decided to take me to the local running shoe store this morning to see if I could purchase another pair of these shoes. After asking the sales guy about the Brooks Addiction brand, it turned out that the smallest size the store carried was a 6 and a half. They also could not order me the correct size because the Brooks store will not be open until Monday.

Defeated, I left the store and decided to order the shoe online like I have done in all previous years. The interesting thing this time about being able to order online is that Mom said she would let me spend $100 on shoes. If I find shoes cheaper than this amount, then I would be able to keep the change.

After about half an hour of digging around on the internet, I was able to find a pair of Brooks Addiction shoes for $43.98. This meant I was able to keep $56.02. Because of Mom's awesome idea (she wanted to teach me the value of money), I was able to get a new pair of shoes, and make some cash.

Not a bad price to pay for losing a shoe...

As for my running tonight, I guess I will just have to run in a really beat up pair of shoes that I normally use for when Dad forces me to do yard work. They used to be my mom's shoes, but they ended up being too small for her.

They are probably not the greatest shoes to be running in, but they will work for now. According to the website I ordered the shoes from, they should be arriving no later than Christmas Eve. I really hope they arrive sooner than that. I also hope that my right shoe turns up. They have been really great shoes so far!

No comments: