Sunday, November 23, 2008

Makeup of a champion



Oops! Wrong kind of makeup!

Anyways...

I read a really interesting chapter yesterday in a book called "Runner's World Complete Book of Running". It was a chapter about the ways successful athletes think about their performances. It also told of ways you can get the most out of yourself physically, by changing your outlook mentally.

One thing I would like to share from this book is a list (of course...you know how I love lists) about the characteristics of a champion. I know I will never be a "champion" and win the Olympics, or something; however, this list has ideas that can apply to any athlete, no matter what their level of performance.

The characteristics of a champion:

1. The courage to risk failure, knowing that they will learn from their mistakes.

2. Using a race to gain greater self-knowledge as well as feedback on physical improvement.

3. Training thought processes as well as the body to produce a total approach to performance.

4. Understanding their athletic weaknesses, and working to improve these weaknesses.

5. Creating a life of balance, moderation, and simplicity- values that help improve running and life.

6. Understanding that they have both good and bad running performances, and learning to accept them both.

7. Enjoying running just for the fun of it.

8. Having vision. A champion dreams of things that haven't been and believes they are possible. A champion says "I can".


The book also explained some ways that you can tell if your thought process needs improving. I'm just going to paraphrase this list though. I don't like copying lots of stuff out of books. It feels too much like schoolwork.

Anyways, here are some ways you can tell:

1. You look only for external improvements, such as new PRs, as opposed to internal improvements.

2. You base your self-worth only upon these external improvements.

3. You focus on being perfect, instead of just being the best that you can possibly become.

4. You look at mistakes as failures.

5. You blame others or uncontrollable circumstances when things go wrong, leaving you feeling helpless.

6. You have unrealistic goals that only result in frustration.

After reading through this chapter, I found many positive things that I am doing right; however, I have also found many things that I could use some work on. One thing I found that I am doing right is having goals that are tough, yet achievable. (I.e. finishing an Ironman triathlon by 2010). I also do love to run (and work out in general) just for the fun of it. I never go on a run where I am not enjoying myself.

An example of a way I could be better, however, is that I can do a better job focusing on the internal improvements that have happened to me since I have begun this sport (i.e. I'm a lot happier and more confident than I used to be), instead of focusing mainly on the external things such as PRs. I always compare my times to everyone else's and feel bad about myself for not measuring up. I need to think more about all the positive things I have gained from participating in sports.

What are characteristics of a champion that you poses? What are ways you can find to improve your weaknesses?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dana,

Thanks for your post - what you mentioned (external vs internal) is something I have been working on for the last 2 years (after a life of tracking swimming times and competitive squash wins/losses)...that's one thing I've found I like about this sport - being patient with myself with so many little areas to focus on...good luck with the ironman training, I intend to do my first one in 2009 (either IMC if I get offered on the rolldown at a HIM or IM WA in Dec), I look forward to reading of your progress! Cheers

Cherelli