Sunday, November 16, 2008

This runnin' thing



In my quest for a sub 22 minute 5K, I am becoming completely addicted to the sport of running. I was already addicted to this sport before, but my new goal is giving me so much motivation that I am starting to love every step I take.

This whole 3 day weekend was almost completely devoted to running. I went for 2 runs this weekend. One run was an hour on the treadmill yesterday. Another run was a 45 minute jaunt outside in the 35 degree weather. I just now came back from this run. I still have the sweaty face and red glow on my cheeks to prove it!

The rest of the weekend has been devoted to reading everything I can about the sport. It is just my personality that when I become excited about obtaining a goal, I devote myself fully to it. Sometimes the pursuit of this goal is all I can think about. Ever since my 5K, I have been thinking very hard about all the ways I can improve in this sport. Here are all the books I have read within the past couple of weeks on the subject of running:

Run Fast- by Hal Higdon
Daniel's Running Formula- by Jack Daniels
The Competitive Runner's Handbook- by Bob Glover
The Cutting Edge Runner- by Matt Fitzgerald
Runner's World Guide to Road Racing- by Katie McDonald Neitz

...and the two I still have yet to finish:

Runner's World Complete Book of Running-by Amby Burfoot
Training for Young Distance Runners-by Larry Green and Russ Pate

If you are interested in learning more about running (Yes- There is more to it than left foot, right foot for all you sarcastic people out there) I would highly recommend any one of these books. They all have GREAT information.

Just a sample of the things I am learning:

1. When you are running up a hill, it is easier to lean back than to lean forward. I tried this tip on my run today while jogging up a relatively big hill. This tip definitely seemed to decrease the effort needed to climb the hill.

2. I learned all about the different types of speed work such as fartleks, tempo runs, intervals, etc. I also learned how long and for what paces you should be running these workouts. I also learned how much speed work to incorporate into a running program for best results.

3. I learned that more mileage is usually better and will normally help you run a lot faster in races. There is only one catch to this rule though: Don't run so much mileage that your body can't recover and get stronger. This will hinder your running performances- not help them.

4. I learned that the recovery between hard workouts is more important than the hard workouts themselves. This is because the recovery period is when torn up muscles rebuild themselves and become even stronger.

5. I saw many very good training programs in these books- and online- that will help me reach my goals. It's still too early though for me to decide on a specific one though.

So as you can tell, I am getting a little bit excited about this new goal. Once time passes and I get into a regular running routine (I am hoping to build up to at least 6-7 days of running per week) I will probably calm down tremendously. Hopefully by this time, I will still stay just as motivated as I am now. I am SO excited right now about the prospect of being able to succeed in a sport.

I am also starting to love running for a completely different reason as well: just being out there feels SO good. I love having the road to myself. I love not having to worry about people constantly on top of me, trying to get around me, and running over me like I do during a crowded swim practice. I also never have to compare myself to other people, since I am usually the only one out running in my rural neighborhood.

I also love just being outside in the elements and the huge endorphin rush that running brings.

As for swimming, I'm not going to let a few members of the swim team's opinion affect how I feel about the sport. I'm still going to swim as hard as I possibly can during the meets. I'm still going to go to practice every night.

Then again, if track season rolls along and I still feel the same way about swimming, you KNOW what I am going to do...

No comments: