Sunday, July 20, 2008

More good luck



I have had some great luck this week (especially today)! Okay, I didn't win the lottery- but it was still a pretty lucky day today!

First of all, I got my bike fixed. My bike was making awful rattling noises, for the past month or so. My dad (who is great at all things mechanical) took a look at my bike. It turns out I had the d@mn thing out of gear!

I don't ride my bike for 2 weeks- thinking something was seriously wrong with it. I thought my bike was going to fall apart or something. The only thing wrong with it: the bike was out of gear! Hahaha. I'm an idiot.

I also went to the bike shop today. I have a $70 dollar store credit there. This is because I didn't like a bike computer I got there (the computer was supposed to be held to the bike through rubber bands...yeah). I decided to spend the store credit on some slick tires for my ever-so-slow mountain bike.

It turned out that they didn't have the slick tires, however. They were out of stock. They said they will be ordering them very soon and will call me once they get a new shipment. I can't wait to get them! They are supposed to make you a lot faster. At least that is what I read on one of the triathlon forums I like to visit.

You know another thing that might make me faster on my bike...inflating my tires! When I took my bike into the bike shop (thinking the mechanics would need the bike to put the tires on it) they told me my tires were almost flat!

I never said I was smart...

In other news, road bikes are supposed to make you faster (duh-uh). I never knew how much faster though, until the guy told me (unless it was a sells pitch...).

He said that if I go 13-14 miles an hour on a mountain bike (I wish!); I could go about 18-19 mph on a road bike. I know a piece of equipment isn't a guarantee, but that sounds like a HUGE speed increase to me. I don't know exactly how much faster a road bike would make me, but I am sure it makes quite a bit of difference.

I really want a road bike (or better yet, a tri bike).Too bad I don't have that much money! The road bikes in the store cost a minimum of about $650. I'm sure a triathlon bike would be even more expensive. I only have about $1,000 saved up, and I want a car WAY more than I want a fancy bike.

I will get a road (or tri) bike eventually though. I just need a lot more money! Those bikes are so pretty...

Okay, enough with my greediness. I still haven't written about my awesome swim workout today. Yes. Another awesome swim workout. I have been having many swim breakthroughs this week!


I swam 6000 yards today! Did you hear that? 6000 yards!

I finally had enough time to swim today to finish this workout. Normally my attempts get cut short because I have to leave the pool a lot sooner. I've tried several times to finish this workout, but today I actually had the time to do so.

Are you ready to hear my workout?

Okay, here goes...

1000 free
2 X (500 SKIDS*)
1000 free
5 X (100 IM, 200 free)
500 free
200 back
500 free
300 IM

* 500 SKIDS = 100 swim, 100 kick, 100 IM, 100 drill, 100 swim

I'm actually, surprisingly, not that tired; however, I was incredibly hungry when I finished. I ate about 1,000 calories of food tonight, and am still a little hungry. Other than that and a little tiredness in my arms, I feel fine. I feel very relaxed too. A long swim (or any other workout) has amazing powers of relaxation.

I am so glad I got my bike fixed today. I actually miss riding it, and am eager to ride it first thing in the morning!

1 comment:

Oly said...

I will send you some slick mtb tires for free if you haven't bought the others yet.