Sunday, July 13, 2008

Wondering about potential...


I've been wondering a lot lately about potential. Most particually, I have been wondering about potential in the sports of triathlon and competitive swimming. I will focus right now on triathlons.

For me, a back of the pack triathlete, I am wondering what my potential could be if I did everything right in this sport. Is there a possibility that I could ever reach the level of being a middle of the pack triathlete (or beyond) if I did everything right in terms of training and recovery? Are my genes the only factor in my athletic abality, or is there a way I could work hard and improve beyond my back of the pack status?

For some examples, here are some things I could possibly do "more correctly". I am not saying I would necessairly do all these things, but if I did do them, how much would it help me?

Okay, here they are-

Swimming:
. Work on my stroke (ovbiously) and find ways to swim more efficiently.
. Practice very frequently, like I have been doing (5 X a week, usally).
. More speedwork?

Biking (okay, I have a lot here!):
. Get a road/triathlon bike.
. Put slicks on my mountain bike.
. Get areo bars, clipless pedals, etc.
. Bike more often (at least 4X a week, 5+ would be better if I really wanted to improve).
. Do more long rides
. Figure out how to do speedwork on the bike, and do it!
. Make sure my bike fits properly.

Running:
. Do more long runs/bricks.
. Do speedwork.
. Get orthotics or some kind of support (other than motion control shoes) for my flat feet!
. Run more often (not sure how often, since I would be using all that other time getting better at swim and bike. 3X a week? 4?).

All together:
. Figure out stratigies to make my transitions shorter.
. Follow a good training plan, instead of doing workouts randomly. (Not sure how complex I would have to go in this- would I have to follow a periodized plan like in the Triathlete's Training Bible?)

Other:
. Work on my nutrition (including eating more protien, fruits, and vegitables).
. Lift weights
. Stretch more.
. Learn how to fuel workouts properly, including what to eat during and after working out.

Okay, I think that is everything. Before I wrote that, I didn't even know what I knew (if that makes sense whatsoever!). There is still a lot that I don't know about these things though- including how well some of these things improve performance.

I don't know. I would just would really like to do well at this new-found sport!

No comments: