Friday, August 22, 2008

Getting used to my new bike: A daily diary



Here is my daily diary (bought to you by my training log) of what it was like getting used to my road bike. I am pretty much used to it now, but still can not believe how fast it goes! I am so excited to use it in the triathlon on Sunday! Maybe it won't take me 3 hours to finish the 25 mile bike ride now! I am secretly hoping to finish the bike ride in less than 2 hours with my new, lightning-fast Trek Pilot 1.2. That would be so neat if I can make that goal!

Mon Aug. 18:

I got a new bike today!!!!! It is a Trek Pilot 1.2. It is so awesome and I can't wait to ride it! I test rode it in the parking lot of the bike shop, and it is SO fast compared to my mountain bike!!!

Tue Aug. 19:

I did an easy ride today (I rode for about 45 min) to get used to my new bike. Oh my gosh! It is so fast!!! I had to keep breaking and coasting to keep my speed down. I am not used to going so fast!

Tomorrow, I will try pedaling normally on the bike to get comfortable with the new speed.

My elbows are also really sore from riding my bike in a different position.

I LOVE MY NEW BIKE!!!


Wed Aug. 20:

I did another ride today to get used to my new bike. I rode for about 55 mins today. I am still getting used to the extra speed, but I am breaking and coasting less (I only did that a little on the down hills)!

I'm still getting used to the hand position too. My elbows were less sore, but my hands were kind of sore today. I am also getting used to the new way of turning. I accidentally went off the road twice while trying to turn!

I'm getting used to this bike :)


Thur Aug. 21:

I'm getting a little more used to this bike now. I was actually able to ride my normal route today- that I was originally riding with my mountain bike. I actually added 2 miles to the route and STILL finished in the same time that the mountain bike ride would have taken me (about 45 min)! I also wasn't even working that hard (I was barely sweating when I got home). I need to work harder and get used to all this free speed!

The turning is getting a little better too. I only went off the road once today!

My elbows and arms are still a little sore (though not as bad as yesterday) but I will get bike gloves to help with that.

Maybe I won't finish dead last in the triathlon Sunday. That is a BIG maybe...


Fri Aug. 22 ("That is today!" says Captain Obvious):



I love my new bike!!!

The same loop I rode today took 2:55 in May.

With my mountain bike a couple weeks ago, this loop took 1:55.

Now this loop takes 1:27!

I am getting better used to this bike now. I still have to break before I turn (which probably isn't good on the breaks) but I didn't run off the road once today.

This bike is so light. I feel like I can ride forever on it! The only problem is my hands hurt. I will get bike gloves for that this weekend.

I can't wait to see how fast I can go on the triathlon!

No comments: