Friday, August 8, 2008

A long training day

I just finished (about 2 hours ago) the longest workout I have ever done!

The workout was a 2:50 bike ride, followed by a :30 run. I finished tired and hungry, but still feeling strong. Because of this workout, I now know that I will definitely be able to finish the Olympic distance triathlon I have planned (for exactly 2 weeks and 2 days from today)!

The bike ride, I am sure, was at least the distance I will be riding in the triathlon (if not longer). It was so calm and relaxing being on my bike that long. I did get a little hungry half way through the ride though. I decided to eat a gel to boost my energy so I could finish the rest of the workout. Taking the gel definitely helped my energy levels!

The gel was a Carb Boom Apple Cinnamon flavor. I never took in any calories while working out before today (because I didn't really need to) but this gel was great. I got it for free as part of the samples of stuff they give away at triathlons. I am thinking about ordering more of this gel to have during my triathlon at the end of this month. I wonder if there is anywhere I can get it, besides online. I’ve never seen it in stores before.

After finishing the bike ride, my legs (particularly my quads) were SO tired, but I was able to make it through the run (without walking, none the less). The :30 run felt great! I am really starting to love running. Even though I enjoyed my bike ride, it felt great to get off the bike and run! The run felt great too, but I was eager to get home and have lunch! The Carb Boom definitely helped tide me over, but I was ready for some real food!

It was great being able to finish a workout like this. It gave me so much confidence for the Oly. I had no idea I was capable of a workout like that. I wonder what I will be able to do next year. Maybe a marathon?

No comments: