Sunday, August 24, 2008

Today's race: A brief report



I finished!!! I did my first olympic-distance triathlon today and I finished!!!

The race was really fun, but pretty tireing. I enjoyed every moment of it!

Some highlights of the race-

The swim: I accidently swam the half ironman course. Oops. Oh well, the lake was nice anyway. Apparently when I saw some people turning, I was supposed to follow them toward the finish line. I wasn't supposed to keep going straight!

The bike: My new road bike made the 25 miles fly by. At the end of the ride, I felt like I could have actually went farther! I even ended up passing a couple people during this bike ride (all on road bikes!) even though maybe 20 or so people passed me. I never passed anyone on a bike before! The hills also felt SO much smaller and easier to climb on the road bike!

The run: Whew! This was when I was starting to get tired! I pretty much ran/walked the entire course. The race also finished in 85 (ish) degree heat. I kept myself plenty cool with the water at the aid stations, but the run was still pretty tough. My next goal is to be able to run the entire course (without walk breaks) next time I do an olympic-distance triathln.

The finish: Wow! The finish was amazing. I couldn't believe I just did an olympic distance triathlon. I did a huge sprint to the end, followed by much eating, drinking of water, and when I got home- a shower, nap, and more food.

Today's race was great! I love this sport SO much!

Full race report (with pictures!) coming soon.

1 comment:

Oly said...

Nice job Rose! Congrats!