Tuesday, August 19, 2008

New bike!!!



I finally got a road bike yesterday! It is so awesome and fast! Shown above is a picture of my new bike. My new bike is a Trek Pilot 1.2 and I love it!

My mom paid for half of the cost of the $660 bike. I had to pay the other half. I am now $330 poorer, but the bike is definitely worth the expensive cost. Maybe I will actually get to finish second to last in a triathlon (as opposed to dead last like I normally place!).

I took the bike on a test ride in the bike store parking lot yesterday, and was immediately amazed at the lightness and speed of the bike. I was even more impressed when I took the new bike on its first ride today.

The ride I did today was mostly just to get used to the bike. I rode the bike up and down the street right next to my house, where I wouldn't have to worry about cars. I practiced shifting gears and basically just getting used to the new feel of the bike.

These are the things I noticed while taking my new bike on its first spin today:

1. This bike is so much nicer than my previous steed- a $100 piece of crap from Wal-Mart.

2. This bike is so light!

3. The gear shifting on this bike is so much different than that of my previous bike.

4. The hand position is different too. My elbows are kind of stretched out and sore today, but I'm sure I will eventually get used to this new position.

5. This bike is SO light. I can actually lift the bike many feet above the ground. My other bike, I may have been able to lift an inch off the ground.

6. The suspension on the bike is very different. I can feel every little leaf and bump now. Now I see why people complain about bumpy roads in triathlons! On my old bike, I never felt any of the small bumps!

7. This. Bike. Is. So. Fast. The speed I can maintain pushing as hard as I can going downhill on my mountain bike is the same speed I can now maintain while barely pedaling on the flats!

8. Going faster is kind of scary! I had to keep braking and coasting because I wasn't used to all the new speed! I WILL get used to the new speed on this bike, and I WILL be comfortable enough to pedal normally and fly down the roads (They don't call this bike a 'Pilot" for nothing!).

9. This bike has no kickstand. I had issues leaning my bike against the wall today; having it clatter to the ground twice and making me look like a HUGE klutz!

10. I love my new bike and can't wait to ride it again tomorrow!

P.S. My mom and dad also got new road bikes yesterday too. My mom got the Trek 1000 and my dad got the 1.5 model of my bike. They couldn't stand me having something nice that they didn't have! All they had before they got these new bikes were 20 year old Schwinn mountain bikes, so they needed new bikes more than I did!