Monday, June 23, 2008

Happy swim workout!



Both yesterday and Friday, I swam on my own in the health club lap pool (swim team is only Monday-Thursday in the summer). On Friday, I swam a 5300 yard workout. Yesterday, I swam a 3600 yard workout.

Yesterday's workout was broken up into two parts: The first part was a little over 2,000 yards. The second part was a little over 1,000 yards.

The reason these workouts were broken up was because there was lightning in the pool. This meant I had to get out of the pool for about an hour until the storm passed. During this time, I decided to fo a little bicycle riding on the stationary bikes at the health club.

Unfortunately, there is one thing I always forget to bring when I plan to go swimming, but am not prepared to go bike riding

You guessed that right: Sneakers!!!

Just like a couple of weeks ago, I did my entire, hour long bike ride in flip-flops; however, being the amazingly talented flip-flop bicyclist I am, the shoes did not fall off even once!

I also got a blazing fast average speed while riding the stationary bike: 13 mph!!! If I could go that fast on my mountain bike, then I likely wouldn't finish triathlons in last place!

Maybe I need go bicycle riding in flip-flops more often...

After looking out the window about once every two minutes to see if the pool would finally re-open (I was ready to get off that bike! Stationary bicycling is so boring.) I finally noticed people in the pool after about an hour.

By this time, I had been working out almost two hours and only wanted a quick cool down (hence, my last swim only being just over 1,000 yards); however, there were some obnoxious kids in the pool during this swim!

These two kids decided the funnest thing to do would be to wander into my lane to play Marco-Polo (They had the entire, otherwise empty, pool to do this). They played in my lane for about the first ten minutes of my swim. After wandering away for a few minutes, they decided to come back in my lane to practice their cannon ball skills. They finally left after I unintentionally ran into them while doing the backstroke.

Despite the annoying kids, I had a wonderful swim (like there's any swimming that isn't wonderful!!!). I can not wait for the open water swim meet I am doing this weekend!

I also had a nice, quick 45 minute run this morning. After a cople more long runs, and some shorter runs during the week to build a good running base, I will be SO ready to run a half marathon.

No comments: