Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The SOMIHID and swim coaching evening


SOMIHID (pronounced some-e-hid) stands for the Spur-Of-The-Moment-Incredibly- Hot-Independent-Duathlon I did yesterday. I did SOMIHID because since I was swim coaching, I would not be able to do a swim workout. I went to the gym an hour early to get in a good bike and run workout before I had to do swim coaching.

I decided to put this workout in the form of a duathlon because I loved the Independent- Du I did on Saturday. and wanted to do another workout of the same kind. This duathlon was spur of the moment because I didn't decide to do it untill I got to the gym.

I called the duathlon increadibly hot for reasons already stated. The cardio room where I did
my bicycle riding was incredibly hot. Sweaty hot. Forida in the middle of Augst hot. I was sweating buckets, and I'm not a huge sweater to begin with. That place really needs to get more fans!

This was also called an Independent-Duathlon for reasons already ovbious. It was not an offical duathlon. I did the "race" all by myself. SOMIHID conisted of a 15 minute run on the indoor track, followed by 40 minutes on the stationary bike, followed by another 6 minutes on the indoor track. I know 6 minutes is a random number, but it was exactly how much time I had remaining untill I had to go over to the pool to coach swim practice,

Since I don't feel like making this a huge, long post, I am not going to say every little detail that happened during SOMIHID. I am just going to say that is was a lot like Saturday's Independent-Baby- Du except it was a little shorter, a lot hotter, and indoors instead of outdoors.

The swim coaching thing was also pretty awesome. Everybody basiclly liked my workout. I actually had a couple people say to me how much they liked it. I would have liked it too if I got to swim it! Maybe I will swim that particular workout in one of my own workouts. Maybe not. I tend to prefer a lot more distance swimming.

As I was being the "coach" I got to talk to the actual swim coach while the swim team was doing the workout I assigned. He gave me lots of swim tips, such as how to improve my flip turns. He also had a lot of intresting stories to tell, such as the fact that he used to be a lifeguard, and swam a 20 second 50 meter freestyle. (he almost qualified for the Olympics in 1980, before they got boycotted)

I thought it was very intresting to make up workouts and have everybody swim them. It was pretty neat being the swim coach!

No comments: